But then to the extent that you take what I'm saying as adequately informing you, like accurately informing you about reality, and not be right, like there's a discrepancy between why I'm communicating to you and what would be maximum benefit to you. let's say, and which is obviously against genetic comparatives. Now I will speak to it because as you said, it is central and. I'm finding that what people are now rivalrous about has changed a lot. And I want other people on other branches because we need to fan out and start exploring at least start to care. I believe that the real reason that this works the way it does is we have not even gotten to a very basic point where it is considered acceptable to say, I want immigration restricted. I don't only want things that other people have. So the preponderance of data gives them a sense of things that is other than it really is, and through things like Russell conjugation, where we're really just kind of hijacking their limbic system but very fun. So the main thing when I say exponential tech is just, we're getting an exponential increase in how powerful the choices we make can be. not the kind of environmental reactionary, not the left, not the right not the techno capitalist Singletary and optimists. It is one that would be fit to a to an accurate a viable civilization. And therefore, your point is, we have got an unparalleled opportunity for teaching for adaptation because we unlike the will to beast to us to be more or less ready, good to go almost from the moment of birth minutes. And then I hear this other voice, which is this optimism about maybe we could become wise maybe we could become the people wise enough to have synthetic biology and nuclear weapons, and instant communication and data warfare and all these things and survive and thrive and I don't see Out me out. That's a very bad recipe. Daniel Schmachtenberger 1:40:33 Yeah. If I could make a system, and now, I will claim that we can and that there are architectures that can achieve it, if we could make a system where the collective intelligence scaled with the number of people, then I would always have more incentive to participate with it than to defect. And it becomes problematic to imagine a world in which all of our previous experience was about competing for these things. Berger an important node in the system. Eric Weinstein 44:10 There are plenty of reservoirs to poison People always talk about that. well, this is the thing. Eric Weinstein 2:15:57 Eric Weinstein 15:45 every dominant system has an intrinsic propensity to say Figure out how to stay being the dominant system, which means that it has a intrinsic propensity to get better at being able to deal with dissent. The idea is that we are in the luxurious position of having a long period of development and knowledge transfer, because we are more about the extended phenotype. And one of the things he taught his son was never let the other guy get the first punch. Do you believe that we have a huge, nearly universal level up in maturity And wisdom available to us through development hacking. Narrative provides a way of looking at and interpreting the world. But those are happening as a function of increased good things increase quality of. Gurteen Knowledge Caf: About entrenched and entrained thinking, How to help your colleagues catch the I can bug, The Knowledge Caf has empowered our staff to speak up and take the initiative, Knowledge Cafs at National Gas Company of Trinidad and Tobago, A Knowledge Caf in English, French and Russian, Knowledge Cafe's can be run in multiple languages, How conversation is bringing KM back to the people, Randomised Coffee Trials at Red Cross Red Crescent, Randomised Coffee Trials in the UK National Health Service **, Hong Kong MTR coffee evenings and liaison trains, An improvement over traditional customer surveys, An interesting experiment not to deabate but engage in a global conversation, Huawei transforms a global conference with a knowledge market, How to make a conference more participatory, At a Death Caf people drink tea, eat cake and discuss death, Blog Posts about the Gurteen Knowledge Caf, A selection of Knowledge Caf blog posts, articles and papers, Empowering children to become the change agents for a better world, Regular meeting places for conversationalists, The London Coffeehouses of the Enlightenment, Benjamin Franklin founded the Junto Club - a conversational society in 1727, Tables in pubs or restaurants reserved for regulars, A society for intellectual discussion founded by John Locke in the 1690s, A gathering of people under the roof of an inspiring host, An institution of Vienna that played an important role in shaping Viennese culture, A reception area where a Kuwaiti man receives his business colleagues and male guests, In a conversational conference, the dominant style of presentation is the conversational talk, How to give a conversational talk or presentation, The lectern is a barrier to connecting with your audience. So that's a good thing in shmotkin burgers. Alright, so let me let me give a little bit of my frame. But let's, let's go through the so here's why it sounds not real. But we're obviously not both on Team USA, we're actually engaged in really dreadful zero sum dynamics with each other well, intentionally confusing and misinforming the public and increasing animosity even towards the point of civil conflict, for some game theoretic win for our team. And that's really significant when we think about the durability of violence in humans. Okay, there's a, there's a bunch of directions that I'm interested in going. and not connected to nature and not necessarily connected to meaningfulness that much that hypo normal environment creates increased susceptibility to hyper normal stimuli, hyper normal stimuli happened to be good for markets. So again, think about the education associated with some religions, bringing about less violence, the education associated with some cultures, bringing about higher average cognitive capacity, and being able to bring those together. Yeah. Daniel Schmachtenberger 1:50:55 And people are hopefully trying to at least copy it earnestly. As this is our second episode to be released during a bizarre and near global patchwork of local quarantines. I have added additional synthesis of podcasts of Jordan Hall and Daniel Schmachtenberger . Right? Eric Weinstein 2:07:36 And now I'm on the outs. And as we start having exponential information tech so we can intentionally misinform specific audiences in ways that are much more believable to them. Daniel Schmachtenberger 2:52:10 What you're really saying is, we are blind to the effect that somatic pleasure and status pleasure is crowding out fulfilment in our lives and that were we to actually understand the cost of pleasure of rivalry that there is an individual reason to abandon somatic pleasure as the be all and end all how we how we Grade A life. On the internet. And so it can use its intelligence to do that. Natural and sexual selection must be assumed to have engineered us for a cycle of competition and misery which we might term game a played read of tooth and claw under the law of the jungle. You're gonna say something. There's nothing Zena phobic about them in general, they're Xena philic Yeah. Immediately, how do we make it through an increasingly multi-polar world, caught in economic extraction races as we near ecological limits of growth, empowered by increasingly catastrophic weapons and tools for increasingly effective widespread disinformation. Are you prepared to take responsibility for the learning and engagement of others? And but I think, and I think that we actually even reified the theory of markets with evolutionary biology to say that demand is like a niche. function onYouTubePlayerAPIReady() { And as soon as things become kind of steady state zero sum, you start buying other people's protein sources because that's the way to grow a slice. I think psychologically healthy humans are emotionally coupled to each other. Yeah, right. You've been watching or listening to the portal with Daniel Schumacher Berger, and I've been your host, Eric Weinstein. So you and Peter, were talking the other day about the need for ongoing just a Peter. Daniel is a founding member of the Consilience Project, aimed at improving public sensemaking and dialogue. Eric Weinstein 3:01:59 but it is not a poetic, Daniel Schmachtenberger 1:04:38 Daniel Schmachtenberger 28:51 Similarly. That's kind of the best that a market can give you with regard to multipolar traps. Publicity Listings We're like, well, we figured out a better social system. And I, by the way, I'm not always grounded, you know, so I've, I've drunk my own status, you know, to access at times, but it's a very tricky thing. attentive to defect on the system, and it doesn't have the collective intelligence to notice it, right? I think so. Right. Daniel Schmachtenberger 3:18:30 Daniel Schmachtenberger 58:34 And that life was simple. We got here because we decided to ignore the future that we knew was coming. Daniel Schmachtenberger 15:05 As long as that's the case, we have an incentive to do fucked up stuff with increasing power. And in terms of just technologies that are still continue to grow? We, we have more of a reason to be careful about our land use rare, rare resources. Right? And then we can engineer on top of that, atoms is different than bits, atoms have a some somewhat finite field to them, bits fields effectively infinite. I'm trying to get couraged myself to do a little bit more in this space. So it may be, we could. And there's something like a hard fork where if we keep doing anything similar to that it'll come to an end cumulatively, whether existential or catastrophic, more likely, catastrophic, right? There's some point where that person's self esteem I would imagine they would be so embarrassed to put their life's accomplishments at risk by just being obviously stupidly wrong. It is amazingly interesting, you could sell clicks, you could just get advertisers To buy through the clicks on the story. so it is both how we develop that socially, which I don't think will happen uniformly, I think will happen in pockets that becomes strange attractors that other groups want to then implement once seen because they're so clearly better at both quality of life and innovation. That is somatic eradication through fanaticism tells you how powerful the software can be that you can teach people to die for a cause. as I'm starting to guess where you're gonna go. And I think we do have technological capacity. And to not say things that would not be to the advantage of the advertisers that can afford to pay for them. HomeGrown Humans - Daniel Schmachtenberger - Existential Risk. And so that's what I'm trying to tease out. The originally the proximate stimulus was tied to the ultimate nice, the brain keeps track of the approximates. So there are Buddhists in India, there are Buddhists, there's a lot of Buddhists in Nepal. Yeah, so what that tells me is I look at some outliers on both sides of the bell curve, various dimensions of the human condition. Where's the hope? right, which we have. And I'm saying that that's one of the things you're asking, Is there a game B that I believe in, it would have to solve for a number of things, it would have to actually remove rival risk dynamics, which is, which would solve for multipolar traps? And so my near term incentive can oftentimes be a long term disadvantage to others or the whole. Really, I learned something from him, but I tried to put my own thing back into it. And how long that takes to develop widely as a while like this is a multi generation thing. What would it take to achieve effective global coordination such that humanity could do both long range comprehensive planning and factor new information with fast processing cycles? I mean, part of the problem is is that gazelles are not the only thing that dying on lions, the lions dine on, right? So there's a fine, but if the fine is less expensive than processing the waste would be then it's just a cost of doing business. How long do we have before the coral die off? Daniel Schmachtenberger 2:13:16 And I don't know how you get out of this in a finite world. Of course, it would start out blank. And that was the hardest decision and starting this podcast was I didn't think I had another option. A founding member of the Consilience Project. What are effective types of immune systems for corruption in governance systems? news stations. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. We can Try to pass things back and forth and feel free to take over if you like. Eric Weinstein 3:00:15 And it's, it's obviously wrong. All right. Eric Weinstein 2:11:30 But I think there are some key parts to it when they look at the most white people or the Canella people or people that did not have, that had a stable society that was not primarily pair bonded, but had multi male multi female dynamics.