Stamped concrete is a very popular choice today because it reasonably meets all of those requirements for most homeowners and commercial property owners. Installing stamped concrete is much quicker than installing cobbles or setts. Colors fade over time, and it's almost impossible to match the color when making a repair. It also requires additional finishes, such as a seal coat to protect it from oils and dirt, or an overlay to improve its appearance. Stamped concrete also offers the benefit of ease of installation. If the mixture is too dry, bulging and premature cracking is a problem with stamped concrete. Installation of stamped concrete is relatively fast as compared to stone or brick installation. The combined strength and longevity make concrete a relatively good value for large areas of paving. And, if its done right, the lines are expansion joints that control cracking and heaving. Sounds like you guys are leaning toward subbing it out.. "Stamped concrete has its advantages, but I never recommend it over pavers because they lose their shape over time (the depth of the stamping wears down with traffic). It is pretty costly. . For example, avoid using a metal snow shovel; go for a plastic one. Continue reading . Forgot to mention, you need a release. Advantages of Acid Etching. I have never heard of the stamping wearing off., Its a driveway; the concrete will be long gone from other reasons before the lines are worn off. And suppose the same asphalt or concrete does not raise questions as a solid surface underfoot, then because of the standard. Helpful hint: Although sealers will inhibit stains, it's still a good idea to remove spills, oil, grease, or other possibly damaging substances immediately. Provided the stamping work is done properly, you will have an installation that will last for years. Stamped concrete is less prone to break under pressure on a pathway, walkway, or patio; yet, it is still susceptible to cracking with weathering and time. Lacks the Visual and Tactile Characteristics- Another disadvantage of Stamped concrete is that it lacks the visual and tactile characteristics of a traditional poured slab. In fact, if you are looking for such an appearance, you will most definitely be disappointed. Joints are necessary in stamped concrete and as such they should be well integrated in the patio or driveway. A few alternatives to decking are concrete, stone, brick, and tile. What are the Disadvantages of Stamped Concrete? I am doing my own driveway and will not stamp the entire surface. The coloringdo not go with a color hardener. . You can also use plain concrete with two different color releases. Industrial concrete tiles are a technical solution that, at first glance, might seem obsolete, but which actually offers a series of very interesting technical and functional characteristics. Create a stamped concrete patio in the backyard, Concrete or Asphalt? -It can be difficult to repair if it does crack or chip. I would love to have some character or detail. Fortunately, using a reliable and experienced contractor that can go above and beyond your local building code if you so choose will lower this risk. A cement patio is not cheaper than a wood deck. Other than that, you can also reseal it once or twice each year. Although stamped concrete is less expensive than other surface alternatives, if you are concerned by ugly cracks, it will wind up costing you more in the long term. Hardness. The above-mentioned types are other methods of applying decorative concrete. The popularity of stamped concrete is growing due to its ability to mimic high-end materials such as bricks and stone pavers at a fraction of the price. Is a cement patio cheaper than a wood deck? Did You Know You Can Make Concrete Look Like Wood Planks? If the concrete mixture contains too much water or is too dry, the finished surface can be easily damaged. When the mixture includes too much water, there is a risk of rough edges and a poor finish because the concrete quickly clings to the seal. Send Us An Email (720) 734-1225 . One of the cheapest types of patios to build is a concrete patio. If you finally decided to seal your driveway, you should go with the type of sealers that has polymer grit additives. Decorative concrete overlays can give you a glossy floor with color or even a design, and you can stick to a minimalist concrete floor that is better for the environment and your budget. Stamped concrete is becoming increasingly popular since it can be produced at a fraction of the cost of these things to imitate better expensive materials such as brick and stone pavers. A basic concrete floor design includes pouring the slab or overlay, then a basic polishing and single colorizing treatment (staining or dyeing). Home Hardscapes Stamped Concrete Pros and Cons, I am putting in a big driveway and walkways to my house (detached garage), and really like the look of the stamping and color. We will pour, say, 6 yards in the morning, and then pour 7 yards in the afternoon. Not only do you have to worry about in cracking, the surface is also likely to fracture with time. Items dropped onto concrete are likely to shatter. Nevertheless, it also has its own disadvantages. Stamped Concrete Vs Pavers? Meaning your stamped concrete breaking due to expansion and contraction caused by extreme temperature changes is far more likely. His neighbor has one, and he likes the look of it. Stamped concrete has its advantages, but I never recommend it over pavers because they lose their shape over time (the depth of the stamping wears down with traffic). Guelph Concrete's skilled concrete professionals will be on time, on budget, and will meet or exceed requirements via careful planning, competent execution, and tight quality control. Depending on the amount of traffic, the only maintenance required is resealing every year or so. #2. Understanding the advantages and disadvantages of both can help you make a more informed decision. Disadvantages A stamped concrete patio, like any other concrete, may break prematurely if not built correctly. Furthermore, these disadvantages have an inevitable impact on user . If you put too much water the concrete will become soft and crack easily when exposed to external conditions. Costs can range from $2 per square foot for a basic to $30 or more for high-end artistically rendered floors. It is also easy to clean a stamped patio. There is a huge number of finishes and textures. -If it's not done right, it can crack or chip. Pavers are the way to go. They can be used in conjunction with dyes to achieve greater color intensity. 3- Concrete Cracks The first thing people rejoice about concrete is that it lasts long. Concrete slabs are very strong and durable, and they require very little maintenance. 1.5 Disadvantages: Concrete Texture The concrete texture is the finish that they required no added material to produce. One, stamped concrete does not settle (to become uneven). And, when it ages and cracks, it might be difficult to replicate the original material's qualities throughout the restoration procedure. However, before you make your final decision about what type of surface you want on these areas consider the advantages and disadvantages stamped concrete has compared with other options available today. During low temperature, causes water and moisture are trapped on the surfaces. Some disadvantages of stamped concrete include: -It can be more expensive than other types of concrete. Additionally, the hardness of the material makes it unsuitable for standing or sitting on it for long. Stamped concrete can cost up to $10 per square foot (0.09 sq m). Pavers are by far losing the race in my area, I rip out at least 2,000 to 3,000 square feet every year to replace with stamped or stained concrete. Concrete is also less expensive as compared to the other options. Just like exposed aggregate, there . You are less likely to be troubled by weed growth with a stamped concrete. It can be made at a fraction of the cost while still coming out aesthetically pleasing and robust which makes it perfect for those on budget since they'll get all three in one product! For you guys that sell stamped concrete, what do you consider the benefits over pavers?, A guy that wanted a stamped slab called me to do the job. Disadvantages: Stains produce natural coloring and are transparent. Stamped Concrete: Pros & Cons. Guelph Concrete inspects the site and plans to ensure that the concrete and foundation structure meet the requirements for the intended use and that the layout and finishing are appropriate for the project. Durability is a potential disadvantage in some situations. Make sure you consider both the advantages and disadvantages of stamped concrete before making a final decision. For about the same amount of money, you can enjoy brick pavers. lasvegas-stamped-concrete.com is a design that simulates the look of many paving materials such as blocks, timber, ceramic tiles, as well as rock. Stamped concrete is a great option for people looking to cover their patios, driveways or walkway. Stamped concrete is a cost-effective, low-maintenance alternative to other types of materials such as pavers, ceramic tile or brick. I am assuming that you have some knowledge of doing concrete work, if not, then sub it out., In my area several of the concrete companies lend you the stamps as long as you buy the concrete from them.. It is weather and water-resistant. It can be damaged by freezing and thawing cycles Repairing this concrete is difficult. Commonly, concrete overlays are applied to surfaces that have been worn down from use or are discolored. As far as freezing and thawing go, I live in western Oregon (very mild climate). Pre-cast concrete edging is less expensive than poured, but it still costs more than plastic, metal or . Some of the disadvantages of stamped concrete flooring are: The stamped concrete requires periodic resealing and cleaning. My local supplier makes it for my needs by the cubic yard. So how come craking will occur. You'll want to make sure your concrete contractor gives your concrete enough texture to help give you traction on those . Will absorb moisture, not resistant to freeze thaw cycles. I simply stated that I would not recommend stamping in northern Indiana because of cracking. It gets too hard before you stamp. Temps in the 20s are rare, and it wouldnt be for very long, just during the night. A stamped concrete patio is a wise investment, as it will last longer and require less maintenance than other types of patios. Copyright Guelph Concrete| Proudly supporting Guelph. The importance of well jointed stamped concrete is to avoid cracking of the concrete. Another advantage of concrete is that you can choose a million different designs and this makes the design choices unlimited. Paving your backyard might be around $4,000 and can turn out cheaper than a stamped concrete patio at $5,120. Not to mention, dying the concrete is something that is best left to the concrete company that would deliver the cement for consistency.. To prevent the joints from undermining the appearance of the stamped concrete, they can be hidden in the pattern of the stamped concrete wherever possible. Sub base - additives and aggregate can be pumped beneath the slab to fill sinking spots and prop the concrete back up. 6. A concrete overlay will also introduce a better . At the end of the pad it sticks up 4 inches above the sod. It is a poor choce for a driveway or parking. It is also relatively easy to install, making it a good choice for those who are not experienced in construction. While there are plenty of advantages to stamped concrete, there are also some disadvantages- just like with any other building material. The cracking mentioned above is a prime example. A stiff-bristled brush or pressure washer can be used to get off surface dust and dirt. The subgrade is the surface that the concert will lie on. Concrete is a favored material for driveways, and for good reason. Need a Stamped Concrete Driveway, Patio or Porch. Ep concrete & Construction focus on stamped concrete overlays empower property owners to enjoy the look of costly paving materials without having to put up with any of the disadvantages had with other types of materials, such as the high costs and, in the case of wood, high maintenance, and low durability. Disadvantages Installation While stamped concrete is easy to install, it is also easy to mess up the installation process. For further protection, apply an acrylic sealer after the concrete has completely cured. Stamped concrete can be a truly beautiful choice for your outdoor space. For more information about coloring processes for stamped concrete, refer to the book Bob Harris' Guide to Stamped Concrete. It opens the pores of a concrete slab, enhancing adhesion. Despite the advantages of stamped concrete, there are a few considerations to take into account. If your intention is to replicate the appearance of more expensive pavement or patio material, then stamped concrete might not be the best choice. One huge advantage is that it offers an excellent equity to installation cost ratio. Only then will the overlay begin. What are Stamped Concrete Patios? It Is Very Hard Perhaps the most obvious con is the hardness of the surface of concrete. Did you like how it turned out, or was it a nightmare?. What are the disadvantages of stamped concrete? Anyway, I went to his house and looked at his neighbors stamped pad. In order for the concrete to be strong and tough, the cement-water ratio should be correct. Once this happens, you lose the lines, making it look like one big, flat dyed area with no detail.